Belo Horizonte, Brazil
This Pleiades image, acquired on 03 May 2013, shows the city of Belo Horizonte ("Beautiful Horizon" in Portuguese), in Brazil.
The area was first settled by Portuguese explorers in 1701, and the small village which formed around a farm was named Curral del Rey ("King's Corral"). The farm proved successful and the village grew, until in 1893 the city was chosen as the new capital of the Minas Gerais region.
The city was renamed in 1906 to Belo Horizonte, and the city has continued to flourish. Belo Horizonte has also become a popular cultural centre, particularly for music and art, and due to the parks, lakes and wide avenues which architects designed and implemented in the 1940s the Belo Horizonte is also known as "the Garden City".
One of the city's landmarks, the Mineirao Stadium, can be seen near the centre of this image, which was built in 1965.
View the full resolution image.